Press "Enter" to skip to content

Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Game #2 - Computer Ambush

PreviousPage 2 of 5Next

By the way, the way I will do this is that everyone control his character (so unlike the Field of Glory let's play, for those of you who played that one) buuuuttt if you don't answer on time (1 turn every 24 hours roughly), whatever Helly and missing that Dayyalu barks is the order that will apply.

I'll be moving first to the factory on the left per SGT Helly's orders. I'll do a sweep of the streets to the front and left from the top left corner of the factory, then move directly north to the small 2x2 building, where I'll take up overwatch to the north and west while the rest of the team clears the remainder of the left side of the map. Like this:

Helly has reacted to this post.
Helly
Quote from The Wargaming Rat on 11 May 2021, 23h01

Your turn now. Don't forget to "subscribe to the topic" πŸ™‚

how do subscriptions are supposed to work here? I know I've subscribed to the topic, but I don't see a list of alerts like on the codex (or other xenoforo-based forums)

So I'll move right, get inside the first house, do a sweep (killing any krauts, but I think it goes without saying), exit in the garden on the right, checking for enemies there and then North. If clear, get inside the small house.

Maybe instead of doing it alone, someone with better postal powers perception than me should come to spot enemies

The Wargaming Scribe has reacted to this post.
The Wargaming Scribe

*screaming*

YOU HEAR THE SERGEANT MEN WE GET THE RIGHT FLANK

(With "check" I mean stick to partial cover and see if there's any good target to engage, if not proceed. If there's any good target, let's forget stealth and mow him down with the BAR 30ies gangster style)

I WILL COVER YOUR DIRTY ASSES WHILE YOU CLEAN UP THE HOUSES, UNDERSTOOD YOU MAGGOTS

I WANT ANY GERMAN INSIDE THOSE HOUSES DEADER THAN A GOOD MAN IN A FEDERAL PRISON AM I CLEAR

(Any men following me- if there's anyone of course - should check the houses for Germans)

I PROMISE YOU THAT ANY NAZI HERE WILL CURSE THE DAY THEY MET JOHN T. DAYYALU! MEN, I SWEAR!

The Wargaming Scribe has reacted to this post.
The Wargaming Scribe
Quote from Dayyalu on 12 May 2021, 2h53

*screaming*

YOU HEAR THE SERGEANT MEN WE GET THE RIGHT FLANK

I WILL COVER YOUR DIRTY ASSES WHILE YOU CLEAN UP THE HOUSES, UNDERSTOOD YOU MAGGOTS

I WANT ANY KRAUT INSIDE THOSE HOUSES DEADER THAN A GOOD MAN IN A FEDERAL PRISON AM I CLEAR

I PROMISE YOU THAT ANY KRAUT HERE WILL CURSE THE DAY THEY MET JOHN T. DAYYALU! MEN, I SWEAR!

SIR YES SIR!

though I'm not sure the BAR is the right weapon to use gangster style

Dear Ma

They tell me this is the last chance I’ll have to write to you for a little while. I’m still adjusting to life in the Army, but I think I’m settling in all right. The uniforms are nice, the food is nice, Β and it’s a good gang of people that I’m working with, although I sure do miss the boys back on the farm. I’ve tried to write to them, but on account that I don’t know where they’re stationed, and that I couldn’t remember their last names, I ain’t had much luck.

Las night, a fight broke out in the mess hall. One of my buddies, a fella by the name of Andnjord, said something less than kindly about some other fella’s ma and things got a little heated. I tried to calm him down, and next thing I knew he was on top of me. The thing about Andnjord is he’s a mighty big fella, and quick too, but I did what Pa taught me with the twists and punches and whatnot, and I made it out okay. It got me thinking back to when I was seven, and the first time Pa beat me up. I wish I could’ve thanked him for preparing me for life in the Army.

Afterwards, my direct superior officer Corporal Dayyalu had himself a chat with the both of us. He’s a mighty fine gentleman, and I’m proud to serve under him, but he can be a little scary sometimes. He told me that he wanted me to run a step ahead of the other boys on our next assignment, on account of my good eyes, and that if and when I see some bad guys, I can do what I did in the mess hall, only with more force, like, and using this big knife stuck to the end of my gun. He also told me to follow his orders exactly, and that if I don’t, he’s gonna personally deliver me to the Krauts and let them do to me what them do best. Now I don’t rightly know what a Kraut is, but from the way he was shouting, I figure I’d better do what he says.

I’ve just been told we’re packing up and moving on tomorrow. We’re headed β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ and once we’re there we’re gonna β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ towards the β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ and we'll be back in time for supper. They say it's no problem.

Please don’t worry about me, Ma. I’ll be home before you know it. Give my regards to the others, and stay safe.

Love,

β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Washington Irving

The Wargaming Scribe, baud and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
The Wargaming ScribebaudAndnjordBrutus Trump
Quote from Strange Fellow on 12 May 2021, 14h19

Dear Ma

They tell me this is the last chance I’ll have to write to you for a little while. I’m still adjusting to life in the Army, but I think I’m settling in all right. The uniforms are nice, the food is nice, Β and it’s a good gang of people that I’m working with, although I sure do miss the boys back on the farm. I’ve tried to write to them, but on account that I don’t know where they’re stationed, and that I couldn’t remember their last names, I ain’t had much luck.

Las night, a fight broke out in the mess hall. One of my buddies, a fella by the name of Andnjord, said something less than kindly about some other fella’s ma and things got a little heated. I tried to calm him down, and next thing I knew he was on top of me. The thing about Andnjord is he’s a mighty big fella, and quick too, but I did what Pa taught me with the twists and punches and whatnot, and I made it out okay. It got me thinking back to when I was seven, and the first time Pa beat me up. I wish I could’ve thanked him for preparing me for life in the Army.

Afterwards, my direct superior officer Corporal Dayyalu had himself a chat with the both of us. He’s a mighty fine gentleman, and I’m proud to serve under him, but he can be a little scary sometimes. He told me that he wanted me to run a step ahead of the other boys on our next assignment, on account of my good eyes, and that if and when I see some bad guys, I can do what I did in the mess hall, only with more force, like, and using this big knife stuck to the end of my gun. He also told me to follow his orders exactly, and that if I don’t, he’s gonna personally deliver me to the Krauts and let them do to me what them do best. Now I don’t rightly know what a Kraut is, but from the way he was shouting, I figure I’d better do what he says.

I’ve just been told we’re packing up and moving on tomorrow. We’re headed β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ and once we’re there we’re gonna β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ towards the β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ and we'll be back in time for supper. They say it's no problem.

Please don’t worry about me, Ma. I’ll be home before you know it. Give my regards to the others, and stay safe.

Love,

β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Washington Irving

Wait, this guy is the explosive expert ?

[Absolutely awesome by the way]

Also : I love you all, i will run the turn in a few hours.

baud, Andnjord and Kalarion have reacted to this post.
baudAndnjordKalarion
Quote from baud on 12 May 2021, 13h29

SIR YES SIR!

though I'm not sure the BAR is the right weapon to use gangster style

Surprising even myself, it was! A favorite of famous gangsters like Bonnie&Clyde and often used both by the law enforcement and their quarry. Less media-famous than the Tommy of course, but a common pick nonetheless.

Quote from Strange Fellow on 12 May 2021, 14h19

Now I don’t rightly know what a Kraut is, but from the way he was shouting, I figure I’d better do what he says.

A SAUERKRAUT IS A TYPE OF FOOD SOLDIER BECAUSE WE EAT THEM FOR BREAKFAST

(Also, Great Rat Admin, are we entirely sure the site is good on Google Searches? I tried to find it on another terminal and shamefully it required more work than I expected. Usual Big Tech shenanigans, I guess)

baud has reacted to this post.
baud

Sorry, I am a bit delayed. The reasons are pretty funny.

1st attempt : 4 of you are dead by the end of my first move. Why ? A German soldier had spawned just next to you, and while you immediately saw him, I had no order "shoot if you see something" so the guy had a field day.

The trick to avoid this is to ask to simulate only 1 time unit for the first turn (the game asks you how much time unit you want to simulate). 1 TU is enough for the game to register who sees who :

So I did just that, saw the german, then played a normal turn where I immediately gunned him down (the poor guy had a rifle, which ain't fast to shoot compared to Dayyalu's BAR and Baud's Thompson), and start moving. Shortly thereafter, another German shoots with a machine-gun at Dayyalu, miss and miss again. The angle was not perfect but he missed a lot of bullets, then he is wounded by Kalarion and stabbed by Helly. I carry on, prepare my update.

... and then I have a nagging doubt. For the second run, did I put the German in maximum SS difficulty ? Is it normal that he missed that much ? I mean, the guy was shooting through a window through rubbles... but he was a German elite fighter supposedly and he shot a lot of bullets so ... maybe not ?

With this nagging doubt, and given events that happened in some of my previous AAR where I was convinced I was in max difficulty but I found out at the end that I was in easy I decided to restart the game, so I will finalize tomorrow the first turn.Β  Apologies for this.

Had to cancel the stuff below because there was one more hidden nazi with a machine gun at spawn that would ALWAYS kill two of you before going down but I managed to get the same beginning with the corner nazi and got a normal beginning. Game will proceed normally

By the way, this was the starting German :

Dayyalu and Kalarion have reacted to this post.
DayyaluKalarion

well, shoot the fritz first, then resume orders

I. Rough deployment

The American squad immediately notice a German, that happen to be just there and is as surprised by them as they are by him.

Corporal Dayyalu immediately mows him down. Baud shoots when the guy is already on the ground. The German is out of commission, though not dead :

Another German is shooting at the group, and manages to miss it all (he is shooting through rubble and I got everyone ducking). Kalerion runs to him and mow him as well :

The deployment zone clear, the soldiers do as ordered : Andnjord follows the Southern wall to check the building on the left, Kalarion Helly and new guy Laxeu make sure there is not a third German on the build immediately to the left, Dayyalu and Strange start to clear the building on the right while Baud is going solo further though :

So a few notes :

• Apologies for the delay and for having to "cheat" a bit,
  • As you may have understood, it was a bit difficult not to have someone die in the first 50 TU due to unfair enemy spawning. The game is extremely lethal in general as we will see. This "round" actually proceeded more or less the same way as the one I had "cancelled" above because I was not sure it was against SS, but it looks like the rubbles + everyone ducking offers good cover enough that no one dies 50% of the time. In one of my test, Helly was insta killed as he was moving to attack the machine-gunner,
  • There will be no more "save roll", any German that shoots you will not have had this opportunity due to unfair spawning
  • Combination of low INT and low DEX makes Baud a real pushover. He is really slow in everything,
  • A general note for future Commenters Command : would you prefer to let me die whoever die before he can even move, or should players have a "spawning shield" ? (I am not counting half-party wipe of course
Dayyalu, baud and Kalarion have reacted to this post.
DayyalubaudKalarion
  • A general note for future Commenters Command : would you prefer to let me die whoever die before he can even move, or should players have a "spawning shield" ? (I am not counting half-party wipe of course)

As this isn't some long campaign spanning multiple months, failure is an option, thus I see no reason to protect your humble servants from horrible gruesome deaths. Besides, it's even more fun to see you and us building some character in anticipation only to see it die to the first stray bullet.

As for the orders:

(shouting at Sgt Helly across the factory)

Sergeant Helly sir! I would like to file a formal complaint against private Alxeu Leaxul Lexus the New Kid for patently failing to closely follow me, sir! I am only armed with a bolt-action rifle, a weapon unsuited for the close combat my scouting requires, sir! If I was to stumble upon a Jerry inside this factory I cannot garantee a satisfactory conclusion to the engagement, sir!

Unless directly ordered to do so, I will not be able to resume my scounting duties until provided with sufficient close cover. Sir.

EDIT: Goddamn, I've just realised that our two close range combat experts, Baud and Alxeu equipped with the sub-machine guns are also the two sloooooowest members of the squad. 🀣

2. Neither the brightest nor the fastest

So we are back on track, and back on the original plan you had laid out - those of you who gave clear instructions anyway.

Well, the plan has some issues. First, Baud is away from the highest ranking officer, and since he is not too bright, and has limited observation (it seems to be the fall-back stat in case of low intelligence), and not fast to start with, well, it takes him age to do anything.

Laxeu is in the same situation, but not as bad. The rest is pretty autonomous.

We carry on moving, at this point Andnjord is fed up waiting for support and explore the rest of the factory himself ; if there were hostiles they would have shot on Kalarion anyway :

At some point I decide to put Laxeu not too far for Sarge, and next to Kalarion so someone explains him what to do. Meanwhile, Baud is forcing me to spawn the map at the bottom

Soon enough, everyone reached the position they wanted to have except, you know, Baud :

We spent roughly 450 "time-units" to do this, it would take 400 more for Baud to finish what he planned to do :

Fellow is the adventurous type so I send him scouting a bit. The rest hold their position for now.

This is what you see in front of you :

I mean, except Baud, who is checking a tool shed - I am not kidding :

I am waiting for your order. I recommand moving Baud back next to Helly, and replace him by someone with high INT/PO.

Strange Fellow has reacted to this post.
Strange Fellow
Quote from Andnjord on 14 May 2021, 13h30
  • A general note for future Commenters Command : would you prefer to let me die whoever die before he can even move, or should players have a "spawning shield" ? (I am not counting half-party wipe of course)

As this isn't some long campaign spanning multiple months, failure is an option, thus I see no reason to protect your humble servants from horrible gruesome deaths. Besides, it's even more fun to see you and us building some character in anticipation only to see it die to the first stray bullet.

As for the orders:

(shouting at Sgt Helly across the factory)

Sergeant Helly sir! I would like to file a formal complaint against private Alxeu Leaxul Lexus the New Kid for patently failing to closely follow me, sir! I am only armed with a bolt-action rifle, a weapon unsuited for the close combat my scouting requires, sir! If I was to stumble upon a Jerry inside this factory I cannot garantee a satisfactory conclusion to the engagement, sir!

Unless directly ordered to do so, I will not be able to resume my scounting duties until provided with sufficient close cover. Sir.

EDIT: Goddamn, I've just realised that our two close range combat experts, Baud and Alxeu equipped with the sub-machine guns are also the two sloooooowest members of the squad. 🀣

Got it. Next game, whatever it is, will be more lethal I guess.

Indeed, the default characters are not that bad because none combine low PO, low INT and low DEX like Baud does, so I was not expecting such sluggishness. I should have had my suspicion when Baud started shooting on the very first German when Dayyalu had already killed him.

MEN, I TOLD YA WE WOULD BAG SOME GERMANS

WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING WITH PRIVATE BAUD

BAUD IS YOUR ASS HEAVY

(advance to the corner and check area, aggressive fire against targets. Wait until the left flank clears their front buildings, then jump to the walls of the first building opposite and check for Germans, all other men without orders cover my right flank if possible)

...goddamn, that boudoir commando Alexus Xelus Rolex new kid will get me killed if he keeps stayin' back like that. He's a proper zombie I tell ya!...

Sergeant Helly, sir! I require permission to scout the worker's homes north of me sir! Private Kalarion, use that devil's piano to cover me! I'm going in!

Quote from The Wargaming Rat on 14 May 2021, 23h44

2. Neither the brightest nor the fastest

hey, that's me! πŸ™‚

Quote from Dayyalu on 15 May 2021, 1h28

MEN, I TOLD YA WE WOULD BAG SOME KRAUTS

WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING WITH PRIVATE BAUD

BAUD IS YOUR ASS HEAVY

**US Army 2021** Caporal, this is body shaming! I'll go and complain to Sergeant Helly!

Since I'm useless all alone in my corner, I'll move across the village to get closer to Helly

Andnjord has reacted to this post.
Andnjord
Quote from Andnjord on 14 May 2021, 13h30

I swear I'm moving as fast as I can, butΒ the rations tasted better than usual and I ate extra someone must've filled my shoes with cement before I got here today. I'll try and keep up from now on, though!

I'll try and close the distance I am with Andnjord and help him clear out all those small rooms over there. I'll avoid climbing through windows, wherever possible, given the whole cement shoes thing. I'll take time and follow caution to clear out each room/building over there, making sure I'm not leaving myself open to an attack from behind. Of course, I'll neutralize any Krauts I see, but that goes without saying!

...Assuming all that's okay with you, Sarge?

Andnjord has reacted to this post.
Andnjord

Private Baud, where the hell're you goin'? Corporal Dayyalu wants us on his six, dammit, you can't wander off now! I can't rightly cover to his left and his right all by my lonesome, now can I? Pull yourself together, move north and keep your superior officer safe, private!

Corporal Dayyalu sir, if I might make a suggestion, sir, I'll move up right close towards the house north of me, have me a peek through the windows for any signs of bad guys, and then if and they're not there, keep watch over the little alleyway leading down further north between the houses.

If I happen upon the bad guys, sir, I'll let 'em have it mighty good, yes sir I will!

Gawdammit Baud you slowpoke! Go with the corporal or God is my witness I shall stab your arse!

Andjorn, good man, complaint received loud and clear - now move forwardΒ  through those shitty houses on the left (D4) and keep your eyes out! Kalarion give him cover and move to that Garage (C2) once it's clear - I'll take the newbie with me and we'll be just behind you Andjorn.

Kalarion and Alxeu have reacted to this post.
KalarionAlxeu
PreviousPage 2 of 5Next