Press "Enter" to skip to content

Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Game #2 - Computer Ambush

PreviousPage 3 of 5Next
Quote from The Wargaming Rat on 14 May 2021, 23h51
Quote from Andnjord on 14 May 2021, 13h30
  • A general note for future Commenters Command : would you prefer to let me die whoever die before he can even move, or should players have a "spawning shield" ? (I am not counting half-party wipe of course)

As this isn't some long campaign spanning multiple months, failure is an option, thus I see no reason to protect your humble servants from horrible gruesome deaths. Besides, it's even more fun to see you and us building some character in anticipation only to see it die to the first stray bullet.

As for the orders:

(shouting at Sgt Helly across the factory)

Sergeant Helly sir! I would like to file a formal complaint against private Alxeu Leaxul Lexus the New Kid for patently failing to closely follow me, sir! I am only armed with a bolt-action rifle, a weapon unsuited for the close combat my scouting requires, sir! If I was to stumble upon a Jerry inside this factory I cannot garantee a satisfactory conclusion to the engagement, sir!

Unless directly ordered to do so, I will not be able to resume my scounting duties until provided with sufficient close cover. Sir.

EDIT: Goddamn, I've just realised that our two close range combat experts, Baud and Alxeu equipped with the sub-machine guns are also the two sloooooowest members of the squad. 🤣

Got it. Next game, whatever it is, will be more lethal I guess.

By the way, I disagree with this. Let us deploy safely. When I get blown to pieces, I prefer it to be my own fault. I very much doubt that low lethality will be a problem either way.

okay, okay. I'll slowly move forward and cover the alley ahead

Quote from Strange Fellow on 15 May 2021, 19h37

By the way, I disagree with this. Let us deploy safely. When I get blown to pieces, I prefer it to be my own fault. I very much doubt that low lethality will be a problem either way.

How about this, you can have the early game protection and I'm allowed to be blown to pieces on deployment?

baud has reacted to this post.
baud
Quote from Helly on 15 May 2021, 19h05

Gawdammit Baud you slowpoke! Go with the corporal or God is my witness I shall stab your arse!

Andjorn, good man, complaint received loud and clear - now move forward  through those shitty houses on the left (D4) and keep your eyes out! Kalarion give him cover and move to that Garage (C2) once it's clear - I'll take the newbie with me and we'll be just behind you Andjorn.

Roger Sergeant.

I'll give cover to Helly, New guy and Andnjord until they've cleared the front section of the Garage area, then move up take position in its NW side, to give full coverage to the north and east. I'll use the NE section to setup my overwatch for the next clearing portion:

Next moves

3. Something is moving, someone is still not moving

Our group carries on to investigate the village...

Except Baud, still lagging behind. That move below will take 400 time units (I usually play turns of 40-50 time units). So far less than 1000 time units have been spent ...

Baud has a "command rating" of 0.2, not sure if it means he moves at 30% (the maximum is Helly at 0.7, don't ask). In any case, Alxeu is moving fully satisfyingly as long as he is close to other soldiers, especially Helly.

The worker houses on the left receives four well-armed guests, while Fellow and Dayyalu are moving pretty carefully on their side, are they are only too (and a bit slower, probably because Helly is far away) :

The investigation on the house on the left goes fast. I move Dayyalu in front of Baud in the hope to make him move faster, but Baud does not see him through the edge I believe :

Note that Helly gave some orders that Kalarion did not follow (as I understand, Helly told him to inspect the garage and Kalarion was all "WELL I WATCH THE FRONT OF THE GARAGE ? IS IT ALRIGHT ? OK I GO WITH THE OTHER GUYS IN THE WORKER HOUSES ! so well, no one in garage :).

Suddenly, New Guy says something, and people pay attention for once :

Was New Guy just nervous ?

Strange Fellow has reacted to this post.
Strange Fellow

Goddamnit baud!

I reckon I'll make my way real sneaky-like up the alleyway 'til I get to the intersection, then hang a left, follow that path all the way down, pop out and see if I can see some of those noisemakers that this here new boy is yammerin' about.

Quote from Andnjord on 15 May 2021, 22h22
Quote from Strange Fellow on 15 May 2021, 19h37

How about this, you can have the early game protection and I'm allowed to be blown to pieces on deployment?

It is... acceptable.

You can trust me to know when I see or hear anything at all. My momma didn't raise me to be a liar.

Now, I'd go and take care of that Kraut myself, if it weren't for two things:

1) That rubble looks awful to try and climb over, and it'll make me a fairly obvious target if I approach directly.

2) If there's one guy over there, he's probably got a friend that'll light me up if I approach without backup.

I was thinking I could go to the buildings across the way to the north, and sneak around behind where he is, and catch him by surprise. I'd probably need backup for this, too, as I'd be going through un-scouted territory, but it will probably be less dangerous than me charging on in.

I'm also probably not the best person to just leave on watch of the position, if we want to just try and wait them out. Spraying at a Kraut from this distance isn't guaranteed to kill him.

*in a low, hush-hush voice* New guy, time to make a name for yourself. Bring back his SS insignia. You have 2 minutes.

Kalarion, you're with me, we'll give new guy some cover - anything to note in that garage?

Andjorn, keep going north and give us a holler in case anything happens.

I thought I WAS checking the garage! Highlight where it is on the map please ValeVelKal. Assume that I'll move there to check it out.

Quote from Kalarion on 16 May 2021, 18h54

I thought I WAS checking the garage! Highlight where it is on the map please ValeVelKal. Assume that I'll move there to check it out.

Sure :

Andnjord and Helly had picked it up from the end of message #33 which they cross-referenced with the map at the end of message #12 but yeah I was never clear about that.

Strange Fellow has reacted to this post.
Strange Fellow

Red arrow: Rush to here and see if we can engage the cowering SS. Check the surroundings for any potential threats.

If Red didn't work out, Green: Move to there sneaky like and DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA the kraut! Or if possible, lob some grenades to his face.

4. Cooperation kill

After Alxeu inform the team of the presence of a German, Helly gives his order (Andnjord and new guy North, Kalarion to the garage) while he shoots in the general direction of German to draw his attention and force him to duck :

With no angle, Andnjord and new guy on one side, Kalarion on the other gets closer and closer from the German. Meanwhile, as he pointed his rifle for his covering fire, Helly noticed movement further back, in the church. More Germans !

[I wanted to show this so you have some idea how hard it is to interpret what happens in a turn. There are some sound effects with that but still. For instance, a bleep on a character than on an hostile means "this character sees that guy", not to be mixed with the slightly different bleep for "this character shot at that guy"]

Eventually, the German is surrounded :

Kalarion is in a good position to throw a grenade and move before the explosion as grenades can hurt from far away.

And the German is dead :

You may have noticed so movement from Fellow, Dayyalu and Baud. Baud is still slugging around, whereas Fellow is stuck on a windows ^^. Dayyalu is in the middle trying to encourage them but a bit disheartened at this point.

Given the situation, Helly decides to move to the East of the village to yell at people :

A small image about how fast Helly can run with 50 Time Units. Baud crossed half a square ^^. Kalarion did not move much because he needed to reequip his machine-gun after throwing a grenade, and I asked him to sneak from the moment he reached the windows.

Helly is around two turns away from being able to yell directly at Baud's face. At this distance, Fellow is already more decided to pass the good damn windows. So, what do you do ?

Whatever you do, Sarge will have to run from groups to groups to motivate them, something I had not understood about this game (I had tested with small squads) and quite unique indeed. Not sad this kind of "feature" was removed from later games.

Strange Fellow and Kalarion have reacted to this post.
Strange FellowKalarion

PRIVATE BAUD WHAT ARE YOU DOING

WILL YOU SHAME SUCH A GREAT COUNTRY AS THE U.S.A WITH YOUR LACK OF GUTS

NOW I WILL GET YOU AND WE WILL BOTH STORM THE HOTEL WITH FIRE AND FURY, SOMETHING TO TELL TO OUR GRANDCHILDREN

(Studies done during the postwar proved that a great majority of troops, even in combat conditions, don't really fight, a good number of them simply hide and a significant percentage of them merely take potshots or waste ammunition, also known as "I'M HELPING". A definite minority of troops are the real ones doing the majority of the heavy lifting and unsurprisingly the ones getting the greater share of casualties.

Because, as one wise man once said, bullets hurt. Thus, all my sympathies to Private Baud upholding my own cultural heritage of I AM NOT PAID ENOUGH TO DO THIS)

(Move south to recover Baud. Move together to check the outer rooms of the Hotel them storm it.)

Goddamn fucking shitty fucking piece of crap fucking windows! If only I could smash them and be done with it. Oh wait, what's this I've got in my backpack... plastic explosives?

HMMMMMMMMMM

A small image about how fast Helly can run with 50 Time Units. Baud crossed half a square ^^.

:'(

I'll follow Dayyalu to clean the hotel, then

How do you make those gif?

Quote from baud on 17 May 2021, 18h01

A small image about how fast Helly can run with 50 Time Units. Baud crossed half a square ^^.

I take a screen video (using Faststone Capture, which is also what I use for putting nice arrows everywhere), then I upload here : ezgif.com

Sometimes, I need to take a video of the video before I want to focus on something specific 🙂

Quote from Strange Fellow on 17 May 2021, 17h38

Goddamn fucking shitty fucking piece of crap fucking windows! If only I could smash them and be done with it. Oh wait, what's this I've got in my backpack... plastic explosives?

HMMMMMMMMMM

Well, the problem with plastic explosives is that without Sarge around you may not manage to flee more than 3 tiles away before it goes boom :).

Quote from The Wargaming Rat on 17 May 2021, 18h08
Quote from baud on 17 May 2021, 18h01

I take a screen video (using Faststone Capture, which is also what I use for putting nice arrows everywhere), then I upload here : ezgif.com

Sometimes, I need to take a video of the video before I want to focus on something specific 🙂

thanks

In that case, I suppose I'll tag along with the Sergeant for now, and see if he can't whip my rear into gear.

Missing quite a few people still, sadly. I guess it will be for tomorrow, orders received or not.

I'll move to the northeastern edge of the Cafe/shop/small density economic area. This way I'll be able to keep the church in my sights as well as the government building.

PreviousPage 3 of 5Next