Press "Enter" to skip to content

Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Game #2 - Computer Ambush

PreviousPage 4 of 5Next

And I'll stick with Andnjord. Separating now is only asking for trouble. Don't want the Krauts to jump us when we're alone!

Andnjord has reacted to this post.
Andnjord

5. A hotel, a shop and a church

Helly tries to regroup the forces in the building South of the church, Baud of course but also Fellow :

Once regrouped, Dayyalu, Fellow, Helly and even Baud, who recovered some vigor in his legs, inspect the Hotel. No hostile.

Meanwhile, New guy had a window to cross, and as we noticed, it is very hard to cross a windows when there is no NCO around - not much action there.

The group around Helly has a view on one of the Germans in the church. Helly decides to assault personally, opening by throwing a grenade while Dayyalu and his machine-gun supports from the hotel :

The German seems to have been hit, and disappears from sight.

Meanwhile, Andnjord, who is still exploring the small shops in the street, see a German only a few meters from him in a building. At this distance, the best tactic is a bayonet charge !

The German is faster, and he receives a bullet before even reaching him. The melee is short, but the wounded Andjnord does not prevail, and he is left for dead :

Alxeu is Baudifying at the rear of the line, without Helly he just does not know what he should do.

The Church seems clear, and Helly moves to the gate (where he can see the body of a German) to give orders to the men left behind : Kalarion and Laxeu...

... but the other German was wounded, crouched invisible on the floor but not dead. He shoots his rifle once, but it is enough !

Dayyalu guns the German down at point blank, but it is too late : Helly is bleeding to death :

Dayyalu is now the leading NCO, and he has 4 men left : Baud, Laxeu, Fellow and Kalarion. What will they do ?

Helly, Dayyalu and Strange Fellow have reacted to this post.
HellyDayyaluStrange Fellow

Archive footage showing the last moments of Private First Class Andnjord. Also pictured, private Laxeu failling to come to his rescue. Shamefully, the official After Action Report neglected to mention the other SS previously killed by Andnjord as can be clearly seen from the footage.

The Wargaming Scribe and baud have reacted to this post.
The Wargaming Scribebaud

RIP

Running around without a commander nearby looks like a recipe for disaster. Clearly, we must provide cover for Kalarion and Whatshisname whilst they make their way over to the church. Then we can think about a final joint offensive towards the extraction point.

Also, feedback: You should put a clean screenshot of the situation at the end of each update, so we can more easily see what's what.

Quote from Strange Fellow on 20 May 2021, 16h14

RIP

Running around without a commander nearby looks like a recipe for disaster. Clearly, we must provide cover for Kalarion and Whatshisname whilst they make their way over to the church. Then we can think about a final joint offensive towards the extraction point.

Also, feedback: You should put a clean screenshot of the situation at the end of each update, so we can more easily see what's what.

Indeed, I underestimated the impact of not having a NCO around. Really happy this "feature" was dropped by the industry. Sometimes, streamlining is good.

As for the map, good point :

Strange Fellow has reacted to this post.
Strange Fellow

I'll just follow Dayyalu around, waving menacingly my gun

If the German who killed Andnjord is still alive, I will do my patriotic duty and finish him off. I will enter the room he was last in and light him up with my Thompson.

If he is confirmed killed, I will recover Andnjord's body (if that's something we're allow to do) and bring him over to the others. I'm going to make sure his body gets out of here so his family can at least have a funeral.

No matter what, I will reunite with the others and not leave Dayyalu's proximity unless he orders me to, from now on.

Andnjord

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAANDYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

I'll support New Guy in recovering Andnjord's body, then take up overwatch where his body currently is, focusing on the East and North. Main goal is effective fire in support of the church clearing and making sure reinforcements get pinned down if they come.

Andnjord

Aaaw, no love for our sarge, Helly?

Also, query: considering I have max speed, did I fail to get into melee in time because I was too far from the comanding officer, or did that make no difference and the SS was just too fast for me? Would I have made it had the german been a recruit/normal soldier?

Quote from Andnjord on 21 May 2021, 11h48

Aaaw, no love for our sarge, Helly?

Also, query: considering I have max speed, did I fail to get into melee in time because I was too far from the comanding officer, or did that make no difference and the SS was just too fast for me? Would I have made it had the german been a recruit/normal soldier?

I honestly have no idea, the game is pretty light in terms of feedbacks. Overall, due to your rank, PO and high Dex, you were not doing too bad even without a NCO around. It is possible he had a submachine gun (I will search him when he will be dead) but the game won't tell you that. That's one of the big problem I have with the game : when you see Germans, it won't tell you which direction they face, what weapon they have, whether they are crawling or standing, ...

Here are the stats of the default guys, and for the Germans I use default. So if you met Kurt Reich or Erick Braun, you face a dude with a Submachine gun and better HtH than you.

There is no old game able to do interactive Let's play for a while after that, so I will do the next one here it on a really modern game :p

Andnjord

Waiting for our remaining NCO. @dayyalu

*gets shot*

S-SHIT. M-men, you'd better NOT FUCK THIS UP NOW...

Baud knows where I put my whisky, just promise me to drink it all if you make it... MAKE THE KRAUTS PAY

*drops dead*

Spoiler
for some reason I stopped receiving updates about this and thought I was still uptodate, but I missed a turn it seems! Ah well!

Andnjord and Strange Fellow have reacted to this post.
AndnjordStrange Fellow

Ack I KNEW I forgot something. Back into character!

(I don't entirely disagree with the system of heavily penalizing characters out of Command radius. It's a tabletop inheritance, but quite functional also in gaming, like in Graviteam. It forces the player to plan for it, and adds a semi-realistic layer. One could argue that realistic warfare is boring as hell tho, and I'd agree).

MEN

THE SARGE MAY BE DEAD BUT HIS SPIRIT WILL LIVE FOREVER

COME TO ME PRIVATES AND WE WILL GET THROUGH THIS TOGETHER

(Get all people in the Church and organize good firing lanes. If needed, I will get out of cover to guarantee that people get speedily inside the Church. After everyone is in, the guy with best reflexes and brain and a rifle- or if he scan, scavenge a MG from the ded if you can - gives covering fire while I lead a HEROIC charge north to clean up the houses. There must not be a lot of Krauts around now, right?)

Andnjord

guy with best reflexes and brain and a rifle

So dead me basically ;(

Hang on, hang on, hang on, hang ON.

Did I hear the word charge?

..oh, yeah. Cover fire. Sure, I can provide that, no problem. Yeah. Sure.

The Wargaming Scribe and Andnjord have reacted to this post.
The Wargaming ScribeAndnjord

6. We require more NCOs !

After the death of Helly, Dayyalu tries to regroup his team and gets out of the church to give order on Baud, Laxeu and Kalarion.

Meanwhile, Laxeu and Kalarion decided they would avenge Andnjord.

As Dayyalu gets out of the church, he is hit by a rifle bullet :

He survives though, and immediately throws himself to the ground.

Fellow takes a good sniping position in the Church. Dayyalu notices that no one is shooting at him as long as he is on the ground, and he crawls to the edge at the top to find a good position for his machine-gun, and possibly to throw a grenade :

Shortly thereafter, Fellow sees the killer of Andnjord, and prone behind an opening where a stained glass used to be, and he tries to shoot him without success. Kalarion advances to throw a grenade. Meanwhile, Baud shoots with his Thompson at the German who shot at Dayyalu.

Sadly, the Germans also have grenades :

Usually, being prone behind some window or similar can protect against a grenade somehow - not this time though, and Fellow is killed instantly.

Dayyalu calls for general retreat to regroup and reassess, and crawls back South. Sadly :

He is also killed.

Kalarion, Baud and Laxeu regroups south of the Church. They are the only survivor. They did not quite see the effect of Kalarion's grenade on Andnjord's killer.  They are all privates. Not even PFC. What are they going to do ?

Strange Fellow

Right. That went well.

So if we have no leadership anymore, are we all as slow as Baud?

In fact, I'm a little incredulous that our two slowest soldiers (Baud and I) have somehow survived this long, but go us, I suppose. We should probably hug a side of this village and work our ways towards the exit.

No glory left to be won here, just our early demises. Let's go behind the church and then hug the eastern end of the village until we get out of here.

But, uh, carefully, of course. A blind run out of town is just as liable to get us shot.

Strange Fellow
Quote from Alxeu on 23 May 2021, 19h16

So if we have no leadership anymore, are we all as slow as Baud?

In fact, I'm a little incredulous that our two slowest soldiers (Baud and I) have somehow survived this long, but go us, I suppose. We should probably hug a side of this village and work our ways towards the exit.

No glory left to be won here, just our early demises. Let's go behind the church and then hug the eastern end of the village until we get out of here.

But, uh, carefully, of course. A blind run out of town is just as liable to get us shot.

Actually, you are now (a bit) faster, because according to the game the speed depends (among other) to the distance to the highest ranking soldier, in addition to the rank itself. So yeah, each of you is the highest ranking soldier now.

Alxeu has reacted to this post.
Alxeu

I LIVE I DIE I LIVE AGAIN

Well, that didn't go well.  Baud, proving his instincts right, AVENGE ME

PreviousPage 4 of 5Next