Press "Enter" to skip to content

Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Time Lords : Time travel and heuristic genocide, now in multiplayer

Page 1 of 3Next

On a proposition of Dayyalu, this is the thread about our multiplayer game of Time Lords ! Post memes, complains and other more valuable stuff here.

Screenshoots are allowed on this thread.

I have never watched Dr Who, so dibs on the Day of the Tentacle jokes !

We have this discussion about how to solve the TimeLords battle. I proposed :

• "In case of encounters and to avoid any temptation, the active player will send the save to the previous player along with his decision (attack or not) and tell the "encountered" player to do the same. If the previous player is the encountered player, than the one before that."

=> Ahab it was giving TMI to that other player, so if you prefer we can use the more simple rule of the attacking player informing the defender and asking him what his behavior is.

Also, remember to tell everyone whose race you are a champion of.

Dayyalu has reacted to this post.
Dayyalu

I've also never watched Dr. Who, apart from a 50th anniversary special that I mostly didn't understand. Dibs on kraken jokes, I guess.

So, to avoid TMI, it must be the attacker who inputs the final combat decision. Otherwise, the defender sees the attacker's screen once combat resolves. I propose these rules for combat resolution:

1. Attacker is prompted for defender's password. Attacker emails the save state to the defender and may propose non-aggression if desired.
  2. Defender enters password and emails the state back along with his intention to fight or not.
  3. Attacker may fight anyway, but if he does, then he must allow the defender to fight as well.
  4. Anyone dead posts about it here.
  5. Turn passes to next player.

Basically, if either player wishes to fight, they both fight, and the attacker is trusted to input the defender's decision. If people prefer Scribe's house rules I'll acquiesce - just wanted to throw my idea out there.

The Wargaming Scribe and Dayyalu have reacted to this post.
The Wargaming ScribeDayyalu

Let's keep your solution, I believe it is the best one. Basically if ANY player want to fight, then both attacks (since defend is weaker than attack). Else both defend / ignore each other. It removes a mind game that is complicated to implement in PBEM, and it is "temptation-free".

I RISE FROM THE DEPTHS

I've never watched Dr.Who too. The only British series I managed to watch was The Prisoner right at the same time when I started doing night-shifts, resulting in peculiar memories of the experience that probably don't resemble reality much.

Ahab's solution is agreeable for me too.

Also, I'm apparently the champion for "Cybermen". Let's check what the hell they are....

I... I.... Metropolis it ain't. I'll need to have some renovations done. What's the point of being a Time Lord and Champion if you don't have style?

The Wargaming Scribe, Strange Fellow and DDG Ahab have reacted to this post.
The Wargaming ScribeStrange FellowDDG Ahab

All right, I'll be playing the weird Zarbi, whose name isn't distorted like the others, and are apparently giant ants from space (escaped from the Pandora, no doubt) from very early on in the show:

The Wargaming Scribe and Dayyalu have reacted to this post.
The Wargaming ScribeDayyalu

I am sorry Argyraspide, but that's clearly a guy in a costume. I mean, look at the feet !

Quote from Dayyalu on 28 November 2022, 20h25

I... I.... Metropolis it ain't. I'll need to have some renovations done. What's the point of being a Time Lord and Champion if you don't have style?

I hear from the Kaleds that you guys do one thing in style.

Ahem. We are Nestene. Our *fingers* have reached into *heavy space* and plucked out a champion of our own.

The Wargaming Scribe, Dayyalu and Strange Fellow have reacted to this post.
The Wargaming ScribeDayyaluStrange Fellow

The Zarbis... the Cyberman.. Apart from the humans, is there one race with a real culture. One with the sort of intelligence I can recognize ?

Ah ! the "Daleks". These look fine ! A bit totalitarian maybe, but it will do !

Apparently, they have a rich backstory, too.

Hmmm, let's see "After Davros's Daleks were buried for a thousand years by the Doctor's efforts, the Kaleds evolved into the humanoid Daleks".

Well, actually, it looks like they ARE the backstory to some more advanced and important race : the Daleks.

I guess I am the Daleks, too. Let's see what such an advanced civilization looks like !

EX-TER-MINATE ! EX-TER-MINATE !

Oh God !

Well, I guess I will roleplay very differently at the beginning and at the dawn of time !

Dayyalu, Strange Fellow and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
DayyaluStrange FellowArgyraspideDDG Ahab

Ahem. We are Nestene. Our *fingers* have reached into *heavy space* and plucked out a champion of our own.

This reminds me of something I don't exactly want to remember. Do you eat synthetics, just to know?

DDG Ahab has reacted to this post.
DDG Ahab

Out of character, I am really curious about what is the best opening strategy. Clearly exploring the end of time is not a good strategy, as civilization tend to disappear so you end up gathering very little information, but I am wondering whether it is better to jump at the beginning of time (where whatever you do has more influence), or to jump in the middle of time to find the followers / segments, receive for information,... I have my idea, but I need to test it.

Pictured below : A Dalek time-travelling.

If you check, it is totally that guy in non-reglementary uniform :

I just realised it might have been a good idea to take notes/screenshots, because now I can't remember half of what I've done and seen in this first turn...

I would screenshot everything, with a turn-stamp. I believe things are going to change.

I have a request, which I'm sure Scribe would find beneficial as well. When this is all over, could everyone share their passwords, and if possible, details of any wars that they successfully overturned (i.e. planet, time zone, turn #, belligerents, IPs invested, outcome)? I intend to analyze the turn-by-turn scores, which are normally hidden until the end.

Quote from DDG Ahab on 5 December 2022, 20h10

I have a request, which I'm sure Scribe would find beneficial as well. When this is all over, could everyone share their passwords, and if possible, details of any wars that they successfully overturned (i.e. planet, time zone, turn #, belligerents, IPs invested, outcome)? I intend to analyze the turn-by-turn scores, which are normally hidden until the end.

Absolutely no issue on my side. I take notes of everything for my own purpose.

Looks like the game is going to receive the full "data-driven" treatment on your blog :).

Quote from DDG Ahab on 5 December 2022, 20h10

Sure. I'll try to take notes, it will be useful to me any way.

I've collated all the instructions from the game in a single image, so it's easier to refer to, all 30(!) screens of it: https://imgur.com/a/7szyJQO

As for my turn, well, this game is confusing, but there is one thing I understand: the Zarbihill needs food for the winter, and I hear Time Lords are particularly nutritious. Attack!

(Unrelated, but the "Subscribe to topic" feature doesn't seem to be working for me here, even though it did before.)

Dayyalu has reacted to this post.
Dayyalu

Well, well, well. Full disclosure : Argyraspide and I have a bug. Nothing showstopper but A & me need to find an agreement of sort (that's almost done). I managed to reproduce the bug in test run, but only once out of 30+ tries :

• One player moves to a location. Argyrapside in our case.
  • Another player also moves to that location. That's me in this case. He does NOT encounter the first player, and actually does not even know he/she/it is not alone.
  • First player is able to come back to the first location (the same he/she/in is already in) - that's a second bug. Also, he meets again the first player.

So basically, Argyraspide killed me, but he also double-backed (after a scan) to do this which is a forbidden move in the first place. But I should have encountered him first turn and then he would have killed me all the same. But to reproduce this he needs to double-back, which is forbidden.

Anyway, we should have an agreement soon and the turn rotation will resume. No double-back in the future, please :). Hopefully it does not hide a worse bug, but I feel like the worst impact is that Argyraspide had a "move" where he cannot be killed. In any case, tested a lot, only managed to reproduce once.

I suspect it is due to something an unrelated player does, because my one reproduction was in a 5 player fake match where I was doing really weird things - so weird I did not remember what exactly triggered it.

Is it possible that time traps were involved? I am not entirely sure how they work. I may or may not have set some myself 🙂

Quote from DDG Ahab on 7 December 2022, 14h12

Is it possible that time traps were involved? I am not entirely sure how they work. I may or may not have set some myself 🙂

I don't think so. From what I've seen, only Scribe and myself have been to that location/time.

And the rules say a time trap can't send you to a place you've already been.

Wait, does this means we already have a kill and now my in-game objective is to save the Rat Lord from his demise?

(I will try to take notes, but honestly in the state I play the game I'm lucky I remember what I am doing at the moment)

Page 1 of 3Next