Press "Enter" to skip to content

Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The Dark Forest - where we fight one another before getting overrunned by thrash mobs

PreviousPage 3 of 8Next

Argyra forget to post this :

Also, I did this or AAR purpose :

Dayyalu and Porkbelly have reacted to this post.
DayyaluPorkbelly

Additional rules ?

Since I am out and neutral, a few rules proposal to "compensate" the fact that the game is initially hotseat  :

• Do you think players who take control of one of the Dark Forest should state it ? I think yes, in hotseat you would know. It would help with my maps, too.
  • Do you think players you state when they find treasures (and treasures that are not their). The manual says it would be WAD :
    If a treasure is found during the search, the display will tell who the treasure belongs to. Be careful in searching as you may reveal to another player where their treasure is. "
    So I think yes
  • Alternatively, one of your proposed that I used my "not in this game anymore" super power to reveal where all the treasures are to give the game a bit more diplomatic and less "kill everyone then check the treasures" feel. Tell me your opinion.
  • Finally, once a player has won, the game removes him from the game and the survivors can fight for second and third place. Do you want to do this or end after a first player has won ? This machanism feels dated.
Porkbelly has reacted to this post.
Porkbelly

Dark Forest: Yes, I'll let you know when there's a successful attack. As of this turn the entire Dark Forest is held by Sir Piglet's men. Any territories lost to Grud were retaken in my next move. But in the case where the Serpent ate two of my men, even I was unaware of where that happened (and still not sure).

Treasures: Yes, I think they should be revealed to all when searched.

Treasure Reveal: Put it to a vote? I vote YES for a reveal immediately. Sounds like fun.

2nd/3rd places: Unless it's super close to a finish, I'd say we can stop once there's a winner.

1. I agree on disclosing who owns the Dark Forest. I think it would be more mess than fun not to know who owns what.
  2. I think, the player who found a treasure can just say if its his or not (without disclosing whose exactly treasure he's found in the latter case).
  3. I vote against full treasure disclosure (though it can wreak havoc on the current state of diplomacy and it could be fun in itself. But still I'd rather no to).
  4. The mechanism for this isn't outlined in the manual, but I suspect, it would look like, the map is reset, the winner's castle and lands are given to gruds, and others players restart from the very beginning. Sounds a bit tedious, so probably isn't worth it.

So Lord Piglet, we summoned the Wizard as you requested.
We all got drunk, stole his wand and turned it upon ourselves....

What could possibly go wrong?

The proud Scotsmen were driven back across the river, but we'll return with more whiskey, more logs to toss and less kilts!

Also, that's some ungodly Grudfest just between the three of us, and no matter where they decide to go, it's gonna be hilarious XD

Quote from Porkbelly on 11 September 2023, 10h18

So Lord Piglet, we summoned the Wizard as you requested.
We all got drunk, stole his wand and turned it upon ourselves....

What could possibly go wrong?

Beautiful ! Tactical Magician FTW ! Wish I was there :).

Quote from Baron Rastignak on 10 September 2023, 15h51
  1. I agree on disclosing who owns the Dark Forest. I think it would be more mess than fun not to know who owns what.
  2. I think, the player who found a treasure can just say if its his or not (without disclosing whose exactly treasure he's found in the latter case).
  3. I vote against full treasure disclosure (though it can wreak havoc on the current state of diplomacy and it could be fun in itself. But still I'd rather no to).
  4. The mechanism for this isn't outlined in the manual, but I suspect, it would look like, the map is reset, the winner's castle and lands are given to gruds, and others players restart from the very beginning. Sounds a bit tedious, so probably isn't worth it.

About #4, as I understand the mechanism : winner gives his territory to the gruds, the others carry on with whatever they had.

I'm sorry for the late letter, Clemens, but the events have been .... frenetic at best. The last men and brigands faithful to the Scribe have been hunted down and defeated. Sadly, the man escaped justice, and a few days later the Spectre launched a great slaughter, without doubt pushed by the vengeful magics of the deafeated Frenchman.

Searching his Castle for proof and loot gave excellent results. Some of the Druidic artifacts we were sent here to destroy have been recovered, to be promptly burned when we'll return back home.

However, there was great uneasiness under the sky, as we feared that the fearsome Scots would take the chance to raid our lands. This didn't come to pass, and I wonder if it's our common Faith in Christ or something else that stopped their hand. Voices amongst the peasantry tells us of some kind of insanity South, a Great Grud Army born of the foulest magics.... but who could believe such madness?

Ok, what the hell. Did the Magicians give someone control of the Gruds or it flat-out mutated the army of Rastignak into monsters? I guess all the RNG avoidance Rast got until now catastrophically backfired in a single moment.

Ah yes, I revealed the Treasure before reading the thread. Well, one is for me and one for Scribe, so it's just one for me, so I guess it's little loss? I'll wait the result of the common vote to post other search results. Sorry.

Porkbelly
Quote from Dayyalu on 11 September 2023, 12h08

Ah yes, I revealed the Treasure before reading the thread. Well, one is for me and one for Scribe, so it's just one for me, so I guess it's little loss? I'll wait the result of the common vote to post other search results. Sorry.

Well, you are supposed to vote, too 🙂

"Do you think players who take control of one of the Dark Forest should state it ?"

Yes.

"Do you think players you state when they find treasure"

Yes.

"Finally, once a player has won, the game removes him from the game and the survivors can fight for second and third place. Do you want to do this or end after a first player has won ?"

First to win should be the end of it.

Quote from The Wargaming Scribe on 11 September 2023, 12h16
Quote from Dayyalu on 11 September 2023, 12h08

Well, you are supposed to vote, too 🙂

I vote for reveal, methinks too it's how the game was designed from reading the manual.

@argyraspide @dayyalu

There is one more question :

• Alternatively, one of you proposed that I use my "not in this game anymore" super power to reveal where all the treasures are to give the game a bit more diplomatic and less "kill everyone then check the treasures" feel. Tell me your opinion.

Also @morpheus-kitami for the questions, by the way

That I vote against, searching for Treasures requires five men in a castle and a turn (so a considerable investment).

Turn 7 comes to a close with some action.

First, the Spectar relieves some pressure on my tiny borders:

But the magician makes up for some of Morpheus' loss:

And he throws in a boat to make up for the extra man that was eaten:

The Gruds attack, with the massive army in M taking out Rastignak's men across the bridge in H, and those in Y conquering O:

Quote from The Wargaming Scribe on 11 September 2023, 12h27
  • Alternatively, one of you proposed that I use my "not in this game anymore" super power to reveal where all the treasures are to give the game a bit more diplomatic and less "kill everyone then check the treasures" feel. Tell me your opinion.

Nah, I'm against that. There will be blood.

Dang, looks like the Grud knocked me out of T as well as O.

This will NOT do. 🙁

OK then, based on the vote :

1.  You MUST disclose when the Dark Forest has a new controller,
2.. You MUST disclose what treasures you find,
3. No one knows in advance where the treasures are,
4. Jury still out for what happens after someone wins. We will see when we get there.

Storing image for AAR purpose

Quote from Porkbelly on 11 September 2023, 12h48

Dang, looks like the Grud knocked me out of T as well as O.

This will NOT do. 🙁

Right, those came from X. I forgot to screenshot that.

The Gruds basically served as my aggressive defence this turn.

Porkbelly

Dayyalu, Porkbelly and Baron Rastignak have reacted to this post.
DayyaluPorkbellyBaron Rastignak

As the rest seem more or less agreed upon, I have to say I think that whenever someone wins, that should just be the end of it.

Dayyalu has reacted to this post.
Dayyalu
PreviousPage 3 of 8Next