Press "Enter" to skip to content

Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Game #11: Computer "Diplomacy"

Page 1 of 3Next

I should cover soon the first computer version of Diplomacy, creatively called "Computer Diplomacy". That's so 1980, Avalon Hill.

The problem of Computer Diplomacy is that... the computer does not do Diplomacy with the players, so when you are playing solitaire that's you against them (though of course they also fight one another).

No, I am not doing a multiplayer Computer Diplomacy. I have the boardgame for that and those days are long gone.

Instead, I am going to do... a Computer Democracy. Given we don't need to bother ourselves with Diplomacy, every turn I will apply the movements that gather the most votes, however inconsistent it is! Hopefully you know the rules, else just go along and pretend you do!

And let' start with the most important decision of all: the choice of country

Russia?
France?
Italy?
Turkey?
United Kingdom?
Australia-Hungry?
Germany?

Your vote!

Note that I am considering make more forums vote than this one, so we have fun mini-groups pulling totally different directions, on the model of my old Paradox/RPGCodex "democratic" play of Hannibal & Carthage

Germany!

Dayyalu has reacted to this post.
Dayyalu

France is a cool start which should give us more than enough rope to hang ourselves with.

uhhhhm.... Italy?

Hail, Caesar!

My spies are reporting that other European powers (those barbarians) are negotiating about creating an alliance in order to invade Rome Italy and to make our Empire fall. I suspect that this alliance won't be strong and that we can exploit their distrust towards each other to our advantage. I estimate that this will be a great opportunity to fulfil the dream of your predecessor 

and bring all the known world under Roman Italian rule. It is imperative that we immediately prepare for a war.

There will be a war. Let's make it War that will end all wars.

Your loyal praetor, Brutus

The Wargaming Scribe has reacted to this post.
The Wargaming Scribe

As a good soldier* I vote for Austria-Hungary, of course.

*) Good soldier Švejk, I mean.

So we are 7 including me. That should be enough. Still, we can make it cosy (and remain the 7 of us) or go clusterf*ck (I drop a similar thread on high population forum. Your call.

It is split between Italy and France currently. If it remains so, I ll vote for Italy which has more "RP/jokes" potential than France.

Quote from The Wargaming Scribe on 11 December 2023, 21h32

So we are 7 including me. That should be enough. Still, we can make it cosy (and remain the 7 of us) or go clusterf*ck (I drop a similar thread on high population forum. Your call.

It is split between Italy and France currently. If it remains so, I ll vote for Italy which has more "RP/jokes" potential than France.

Depends on the forum. It's the Codex or a less... sociopathic place (even if the Codex kinda got a teeeny bit better after the purge)?

Also are we a joke to you -_-

Andnjord has reacted to this post.
Andnjord
Quote from Dayyalu on 11 December 2023, 21h40
Quote from The Wargaming Scribe on 11 December 2023, 21h32

Depends on the forum. It's the Codex or a less... sociopathic place (even if the Codex kinda got a teeeny bit better after the purge)?

Typically I would do Codex + Paradox. The funny sociopaths and the funny nerds.

Quote from Dayyalu on 11 December 2023, 21h40

No, that would be the Belgians.
You are like our siblings, except with marginally better food and significantely worse politics - but on the latter we are catching back.

Dayyalu has reacted to this post.
Dayyalu

Yes to bringing in more players, and no they don't have better food how dare you.

OK then, two more forum.

I will launch that Friday though, I had a couple of IRL unexpected events taking me more time than expected.

KarbonKitty has reacted to this post.
KarbonKitty

I launched the threads:

On RPGCodex: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/lets-rule-democratically-our-armies-in-computer-diplomacy.149130/

On OT Paradox: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/democratic-aar-computer-not-diplomacy.1617791/

Whether successful or locked by admin, I am launching this!

Dayyalu and Argyraspide have reacted to this post.
DayyaluArgyraspide

The only acceptable choice clearly has to be Italy!

Quote from Andnjord on 18 December 2023, 16h43

Hang on...

https://zeitgame.net/wp-content/uploads/tfaf/2023/12/18/20231218000004.png

Now that I think about it, and if the Lord had given me Strength, I would have launched the thread on 7 different forums, with each forum having its own country.

Maybe in the future... maybe in the future.

Quote from The Wargaming Scribe on 18 December 2023, 16h58

Now that I think about it, and if the Lord had given me Strength, I would have launched the thread on 7 different forums, with each forum having its own country.

That's what I was thinking, yeah. That'd be sweet, but probably a nightmare to run.

I can't stalk you on all those forums to get information. It's a fight I can't win.

Quote from Argyraspide on 18 December 2023, 17h18

That's what I was thinking, yeah. That'd be sweet, but probably a nightmare to run.

With the help of another person to do the vote counting and provided that the forum used the same format so I can just copy paste, it would be kind of manageable, though not with my current schedule.
The real issue would be finding 7 forums, including 6 that would accept to play with the 'dex...
... now... Reddit? Hmmmm
Oh boy, I think I have an idea for January. I would have to put the site on hiatus, but it would be worth it.

Quote from Argyraspide on 18 December 2023, 16h51
Quote from Andnjord on 18 December 2023, 16h43

Hang on...

https://zeitgame.net/wp-content/uploads/tfaf/2023/12/18/20231218000004.png

One choice is prestigious, the other one is acceptable, I see no contradictions and no way this could ever lead Valevelkal to ignore my vote!

Argyraspide has reacted to this post.
Argyraspide
Page 1 of 3Next