Press "Enter" to skip to content

Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Andromeda's Conquest MP game

PreviousPage 2 of 4Next
Quote from DDG Ahab on 26 February 2022, 18h17

PRIORITY OVERRIDE... BEGIN OUTGOING TRANSMISSION SEQUENCE...

Attention vessels at coordinates [14,15]. Withdraw or our probes will restart contact sequence.

END TRANSMISSION SEQUENCE.

<ooc> *Check screenshoot* « Might be me » </ooc>

Strange unnutritious creature. We have received your transmission. Why don’t you use pheromones like us ???

We will not move below the position you state - we may move more to the right.

The Most High Council of the High Fishies,Wise and Great, Fast and Responsive, from the Most Glorious Capital Planet of Tolusefulu Laau, reports that a great number of hostile unfished scout ships have been dispatched by the Most Aggressive and Pointed Defensive fleets of our realm.

However, the Most Esteemed and Prudent Council suggests to ALL civilized and carbon-based lifeforms to prepare for further incursion from the clearly deranged siliconic foe.

There was an Ant Queen from Altair,

Who fancied a whelk for her fare,

She took flight for a bite,

But got such a fright,

WHEN the WHELKS opened up with FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS!

Quote from Dayyalu on 26 February 2022, 20h40

The Most High Council of the High Fishies,Wise and Great, Fast and Responsive, from the Most Glorious Capital Planet of Tolusefulu Laau, reports that a great number of hostile unfished scout ships have been dispatched by the Most Aggressive and Pointed Defensive fleets of our realm. 

Fish stories. Our losses: negligible. Retaliation: threefold. Location of Tolusefulu Lauu: triangulated. You will not delay our expansion.

Report to the Queen : We have been STOMPED by an enemy FEET !  We report the loss of ants #1749284 through #1948374, ants #2139103 through #2319538 and, regretfully, ant #2910431.

We recommend : Lay more eggs ! Replace losses ! Capture and eat hostile proteins !

We may have a problem.

I'm now stuck in the game as I can't probe an enemy fleet without the game locking on me with, I trascribe:

"BAD SUBSCRIPT ERROR IN 5013"

Attempts to give further commands result in a syntax error and kinda locks the game. Can it be from the weird tactical stacking the bots use?

EDIT: Attacking the fleet without scanning gives the same result (I am extremely sorry for replaying the turn, but, bugs! And not the good French kind!)

It's trying to reference an array element that doesn't exist. Suggest to reload the savestate and replay your turn first.

If we are totally jammed I can debug it.

Reloading the save didn't work. It's kind of a peculiar situation, because I could avoid the action that caused the crash but at that point I could simply let the Bots win for tactical reasons. I'd prefer a debug if the Wargaming Scribe agrees, and we could discover the reasons of the glitch!

More tech archeology!

Let me try to redo my turn and send my save again. If it does not work, we can try debug mode.

ETA : 2 hours on my side, got a kid to put to bed.

I'll probably collapse before that time. We update tomorrow in case.

I looked at the code just now (no debugging, just a look at the code off the disk image). I might have invoked a weird corner case that the BASIC logic doesn't know how to resolve.

If WGS's redone turn doesn't fix the issue, I'm willing to try redoing mine a bit differently.

I think it's very likely something with your fleet DDG. I agree maybe good to prep that redo turn.

Did you find a way to head off map or build a fleet with no ships or something? 🙂

Speaking of archeology, did you guys find a way to check the 2nd enemy fleet when two enemy fleets are on top of each other. There are a lot of snails and other slimy things in my area.

Finally looking at the code (not debugging.. yet). Line 5013 is part of a loop through the 36 possible fleets (9 fleets x 4 players).

It ignores the fleets for the current player, but tallies up the count of ship types for all the other players. That part is probably fine.

It also keeps an array to store the list fleet IDs found in that location. This array size has a limit of 8 fleets.

So, if you are probing a location with more than 8 fleets (other than your own) it will crash with a BAD SUBSCRIPT error when it tries to log the 9th one.

DDG, did you perchance have 9 fleets in the same location? If so, could you redo your turn?

The other possibility is that there are multiple other players with multiple fleets > 8 in the location.

If that is not it I can debug the savestate, but then I'll see everything and I don't want to do that yet 🙁

The Wargaming Scribe has reacted to this post.
The Wargaming Scribe
Quote from The Wargaming Scribe on 1 March 2022, 23h39

Speaking of archeology, did you guys find a way to check the 2nd enemy fleet when two enemy fleets are on top of each other. There are a lot of snails and other slimy things in my area.

Looking at lines 5023-5032. A probe will do a loop that prints out a player ID 1 thru 4 for each fleet, the total number of enemy fleets in the location, and total numbers by ship type. There is no way to tell what ships are in which fleets.

Damage is assigned to automatically to Rama's first, the damage routine cycles through all fleets in the location, always starting with Player 1 fleets and ticking off Rama's. If there are damage points remaining it then does the same with Nova's (1 point of damage will kill a Nova same as a Rama). If there is any unassigned damage left over (even 1 point), it then kills any and all enemy Echos in one fell swoop.

DDG Ahab has reacted to this post.
DDG Ahab
Quote from Porkbelly on 2 March 2022, 2h07

DDG, did you perchance have 9 fleets in the same location? If so, could you redo your turn?

Maybe. If Dayyalu crashes again, I will redo and make sure I don't do that.

Another crash.

Uh, I could simply ignore the bugged stack-fleet but that would be kind of.... weird.

Quote from Porkbelly on 2 March 2022, 4h01

Damage is assigned to automatically to Rama's first, the damage routine cycles through all fleets in the location, always starting with Player 1 fleets and ticking off Rama's. If there are damage points remaining it then does the same with Nova's (1 point of damage will kill a Nova same as a Rama). If there is any unassigned damage left over (even 1 point), it then kills any and all enemy Echos in one fell swoop.

Wait, if damage cycles through ALL FLEETS on location why damage results are wildly inconsistent? I can swear multi-stack fleets take significantly less damage from single stacks.

I tried a different strategy that does not involve 9 fleets and sent it to WGS.

Porbelly and Ahab : Read the BASIC code before launching the game - leading

Dayyalu and Scribe : "Meh, I ll learn playing" - not leading.

Anyway, it changes my tactics a bit. NOVA are mostly useless if you don't have a world to occupy/destroy.

Quote from Porkbelly on 2 March 2022, 2h07

Finally looking at the code (not debugging.. yet). Line 5013 is part of a loop through the 36 possible fleets (9 fleets x 4 players).

It ignores the fleets for the current player, but tallies up the count of ship types for all the other players. That part is probably fine.

It also keeps an array to store the list fleet IDs found in that location. This array size has a limit of 8 fleets.

So, if you are probing a location with more than 8 fleets (other than your own) it will crash with a BAD SUBSCRIPT error when it tries to log the 9th one.

The other possibility is that there are multiple other players with multiple fleets > 8 in the location.

If that is not it I can debug the savestate, but then I'll see everything and I don't want to do that yet 🙁

Interesting. It looks like a pretty easy fix in the source code - increase that array size :). I imagine the "computers start counting at 0" mistake stroke again.

PreviousPage 2 of 4Next